Probably built in the early Christian era, first mentioned in 963, was of great importance in the 14th century had eleven suffragan churches. The present building, rebuilt over the centuries, has three naves ending in a quadrangular scarsella.
The roof is wooden trusses and the masonry of the façade is made of small stone and sandstone ashlars and drafts alberese stone course mounted. The belfry with three lights was erected on the original one. Above the door is a window architrave with the coat of arms Piccolomini (1619). Inside there is a rich glaze furniture consisting of a baptismal font, a Tabernacle to the temple and a Saint John the Baptist, executed by Giovanni della Robbia, probably with the intervention of son Marco, between 1517 and 1521.